4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

this is how its done tom......

Go down 
+4
tuggy
Assassin
Tom Mc
iveco4x4
8 posters
AuthorMessage
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's
iveco4x4

this is how its done tom...... Empty
PostSubject: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 7:39 am

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 11:57 am

Same ambulance conversion as mine, the one that still looks as if it has RR wings at the rear instead of the 'box tacked on behind the cab'.

Don't like the interior layout, the bed hanging over the seats as it does. As for the spare wheel on the bonnet. Bad enough on a Land Rover Lightweight, but a Rangie? I think not. Mine will be better, all I have to do is get the cash together ... one day!  Sad
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 12:27 pm

All it wants is JAFFA stamping on the side.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 12:44 pm

Hi mate, how yer doiin'?

Yep, it's very orange. That was our colour on the Landy Rally charity drive. Okay for a couple of weeks with our orange clothing, but as a full-time colour? Don't think so!

I've just noticed, besides the horrible vinyl seating at the back (surely cloth would be more comfy???) and heavy kitchen worktops (why so think, it's not needed?) I've just noticed there's no gas cooker. Sure there is a small microwave included, but that's hardly going to suffice out in the boonies.

All in all, a poor conversion based on a great vehicle ... I would say that! Be interesting to see how much it goes for.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 1:03 pm

Up to the knackers in work, overflowing with orders, doing more helicopter miles than car miles, and bloody glad for this Bank Holiday as I am doing very little other than dossing and recharging the batteries.

And yourself?
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 10:57 am

Doing okay thanks, but like you, very busy. I now have two events on the go, the first in June which of course is fast-approaching. No rest for the wicked eh?  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 11:37 am

I must have been bloody wicked in a former life.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 11:59 pm

... so I've heard!!!  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 6:02 am

spare wheel on the bonnet.....NOOOOO.... doh 
Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 12:45 pm

I plonked a spare wheel on the bonnet of my Rangie just the other day, purely to shift it from A to B across a yard, and believe me it's downright dangerous. I'm sure it's not in any M.O.T. regulations, but can't see it passing on grounds of some obscure safety clause - good job too!
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 9:29 pm

Visibility.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 3:40 am

Assassin wrote:
Visibility.
doh ... that'll be the one!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 1:40 am

Despite what I said about it, being roadworthy it was rather tempting. It sold for only £3,222 in the end - bargain!

Shame my pot was empty, the shows take priority at the moment rather than toys. Just have to plod on with my version instead. C'est la vie!  Sad
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 9:26 am

You couldn't make it up - guess who has just bought himself an orange RR camper?  yesss 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161316977481?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

See the price? Relisted due to an ebay timewaster who bid £3,222 but couldn't pay for it , thought I'd slip in a cheeky last-minute bid, and low and behold I won the darn thing. Knowing it was the end of the auction this evening, I had a quick calculation with just 20 minutes left and quickly realised that the Webasto heater, brake lines, alternator, etc. all added up to well over £1,000 on ittheir own. Add in a 1975 ambulance-come-camper that has only done 51,000+ miles (I'm assuming that's just the 200 Tdi engine, not the vehicle itself) and I reckon I've done pretty well. It will soon become tax exempt as well.

Next job, a nice paint job (I'm done with Landy Rally orange!!!) and some re-upholstery to get rid of that horrible vinyl, I reckon it could be a sound investment.

Anybody want to buy a old mint condition 1973 RR ambulance? Well, apart from a door falling off due to a little rust, manky bodywork ...  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 8:12 pm

Congrats Tom! I think zebra stripes would suit! Will it be ready for Morocco next spring?
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 8:21 pm

Great news Tom, does that mean the white RR ambulance will revert to being your garden shed again  Very Happy

Will we being seeing the new one at the weekend at the show ?
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 2:13 am

WOE Tom. You got new wheels ? How will I recognise you now ?

Enjoy new motor
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 3:53 am

Well save's me putting in a bid, but if you had let me know I could have collected this morning when we came past Penrith.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 7:23 am

roamingman wrote:
Well save's me putting in a bid, but if you had let me know I could have collected this morning when we came past Penrith.
Not unless you can drive two motors at once Yoda!  Razz 

Garden shed, zebra stripes ... grrrrrr!!!!!  Evil or Very Mad 

Yep, Morocco here we come. Yippppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!  yesss  yesss  yesss 

Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 8:18 am

well done tom...you taking it to baddkiss......"]
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 8:41 am

No mate. Only two seats and there's now three of us going. To be honest, best off in the Merc C Class on LPG as we've a few km to do before we even get to Bass Kiss. Now, if there was a bit of off-roading over there en route or whilst there, it might have been a different matter ...  Twisted Evil 

Nah, still have to pay for it, so won't collect it until next week. Let's hope I make a few pennies over the weekend!  affraid 

Gotta go eat, then a pile of paperwork before turning in - another 4 hours kip on the cards like last night. Ho hum!

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 2:55 pm

Well, as Ralf said he'd fly back from Bad Kissingen, in the end myself and Bedworth Bert's Mark went in the orangemobile, and we've just made it back in one piece!  cheers

The RR ambulance-come-camper performed flawlessly. Highlight today was the final run from Dover to home. Speedo read 97 mph, but as we all know, a 200Tdi + Disco 5-speed box fitted in not just in an vehicle with the aerodynamic qualities of a "brick on wheels", but a massive "breeze block on wheels" just isn't possible ... honest officer!!! It was also brilliant on fuel. I've yet to work it out, but both Mark and myself know it was good mpg / kpl (Kilometres Per Litre).

Great machine, bargain of the year century!
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 8:37 pm

Glad to hear the new vehicle got you to the show and back, if you're going next year I may tag along,just had far too much to do this year.
Did make it to the HUBB for 2 days, great show and talks as usual pity they messed the sound up on Tembo's talk and James got his revenge for the pink paint by showing my disco being the only vehicle being recovered.
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 2:21 am

well tom glad you got back ok we are in north germany at a beautiful wooded site in north germany with good internet…………

well you missed the best bit……on sunday night when you all went we had the field to our selfs then we heard this music as if a band was tuning up…very loud so we went to investigate and found that in the park just behind ALDI there was a gig going on……………ONLY BRIAN ADAMS……..so we spent two hours while he did his gig we sat bye the fire and rocked………….what an end to the weekend……. clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping 
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 12:44 pm

Bugger!  mad  Did you know that he's a Land Rover man. He has a 100" hybrid (110 shortened to fit Rangie chassis) built by Paul Clark. This LR was immortalised on the front and back of Adams' 1993 album "so far so good". Don't know if he still has it, but it was kept over here in the UK so Brian could play whenever he flew over.

Should have said hello!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: this is how its done tom......   this is how its done tom...... Empty

Back to top Go down

this is how its done tom......
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Main Chat Forum-
Jump to: