4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jkstermitz
Rookie
Rookie

Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel Empty
PostSubject: Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel   Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi all,

Just joined the forum..looking for opinions for outfitting a jeep jk for world travel. We're either going to put a gasoline v8 in it or perhaps a new diesel.

Gasoline would be my preference but would like thoughts on fuel costs, parts and mechanic availability in other countries for diesel. Our route is through the Americas, then Australia, SE Asia, India, Tibet, China, Stans, Eastern europe, etc.

How are the new diesel engines at high altitudes?

Thanks for suggestions.

Back to top Go down
Peej
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4
Peej

PostSubject: Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world trave   Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi There
Im a JK owner and love it, it's very capable, mines the 2.8 crd and gives good economy for it's weight, 29 - 36mpg motorway and bimbling respectively.

Beware though Jk's are euro 5 engines(this also applies to other makes with E5 engines) with high injection pressures 15bar and need highly refined diesel to run which can mean problems in countries outside of Europe where poor quality diesel is the only option, you'll find a blog in the forum talking of this a little, somewhere.

The JK Rubicon comes with the 3.6 pentastar V6 if you want petrol and should give 20 -25mpg and is the only option in the USA but if you put in a V8 you will have to find one that is compatible with the JK electronics, check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UE6epa2uGw and then follow part two.
All modern E5 engines petrol or diesel need highly refined (clean) fuels and sophisticated electronics to run, the 2.8crd cannot run without the ecu to manage air/fuel mix/injection timing (rumour has it that they don't work above 9000ft?) at up to 8 times a millisecond you can no longer throw away the electronic ignition system and bang on a distributor or radial pump. This has huge implications for remote off road use, basically these vehicles won,t be worth the hassle outside of europe, north america and Australia

Mechanically in stock trim I don't think they have what it takes my JK sahara has Dana 35 front and Dana 44 rear axles, the 35 is too lightweight, I knocked out the front axle UJ's in 30k without much off road use and from 2012 the rear axles have been down rated to 35's too in order to meet eu driving licence laws. My jk can tow 3.5 tons 2012 onwards can only tow 2.8 tons!
The  JK Rubicon uses Dana 44 all round with auto electronic lockers stonger axles but too much electronics, bust a wire to your locker and your engine goes into limp mode!

Now don't miss understand me I'm not slagging the jeep, I love mine and wouldn't change it but! You asked for opinion and mine is that you should go with something strong and simple to maintain = series landies but check out what everyone drives here on the forum I don't think you'll find many E4 or E5 vehicles especially the ones who have done expeditions.

If you want to see what  JK's are capable of check out the vids here http://wayalife.com/content.php?6-videos but bear in mind that most of the JK's are heavily modified with dynatrac 66 axles etc.
I have posted a blog about my wife and I's travels camping in the back of our jeep in scotland and will post more when i can get the time but a jeep is a way of life and we love it.
http://www.4x4overlandtravel.com/t1507-diy-camper-jeep
http://www.4x4overlandtravel.com/t1522-diy-camper-jeep-part-two
http://www.4x4overlandtravel.com/t1525-it-s-late-but-here-it-is-our-2012-tour-of-the-isle-of-skye
Hope this is of some assistance.

PS. I have extensive tech info on the JK, if you need help.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel   Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 8:24 pm

While I have never owned a JK, I did grow up with Jeeps and bashed around with older models in North America for years. I would hesitate to choose a modern Jeep for a global overland trip both because of the complexity and because spare parts are going to be thin on the ground in many spots outside the Americas and Oz. Just as with Land Rover losing the plot over the last twenty years regarding simple, rugged vehicles adaptable to many purposes, Jeep never really looked at international overlanding...or international markets at all really. To do a three day trip along the Rubicon trail or up to Alaska...no problem, but to take one to less developed regions of the world I would hesitate.

Now you could buy a used JK and a Quadratec catalogue and basically rebuild one from the chassis up to be more simple and robust, if you have deep pockets. But as Peej says, your biggest challenge would be the engines and electronics. You really don't want to end up in 'limp-home' mode in Tibet. I often thought about building up a CJ-8 (long wheelbase) into an overlander...but that would be as far as I would go with the Jeep brand and global travel.
Back to top Go down
jkstermitz
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Thanks..all good inputs   Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 4:13 am

I have contacted a company that will do the re-build, and the idea is to make this more sustainable for WW use, as well as increase power. Conveniently, they also make the "adventure trailer" I'm looking to drag behind. We'll look at all the components and see which make most sense for availability and repairs outside the US. They seem to have a lot of experience in this vein - we'll see (going to visit them this week). I don't plan on abusing this, and with fresh parts I hope it will survive a 3 yr odyssey.

Finding a jk with a blown engine and/or tranny for the rebuild would be nice, but I suppose that's a well-trod trail.

VMI offroad is the firm....their trailers are sweet (and a lot lighter than some of their competitors)!
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel   Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 5:01 am

I do like the Alpine

mike
Back to top Go down
jkstermitz
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Alpine adventure trailer   Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 7:12 am

gemini wrote:
I do like the Alpine

mike

They have another in the works which is slightly smaller, and cheaper...a bit under 20k USD. I think it has electrical pop-up option, to full-height (vs wedge), giving it a lower profile when collapsed.
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel   Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi JK.
Having recently moved from canvas to tin, well aluminium, We couldn't afford what we wanted, so we made this...

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=75880

The original idea being that the bed was always made up. No putting a tent up after a long day. The trailer is just a bed really. Everything else is outside.

We've found that the roof is fine. It's about the same height as my Defender with the roof down

mike
Back to top Go down
Peej
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4
Peej

PostSubject: Re: Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel   Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 5:32 pm

Found the article again on euro 5 issues go to this page http://www.4x4overlandtravel.com/t1585-issues-with-euro5-emission-standard-based-diesel-cars-for-worldtrips

jkstermitz wrote:
Hi all,

Just joined the forum..looking for opinions for outfitting a jeep jk for world travel.  We're either going to put a gasoline v8 in it or perhaps a new diesel.  

Gasoline would be my preference but would like thoughts on fuel costs, parts and mechanic availability in other countries for diesel.  Our route is through the Americas, then Australia, SE Asia, India, Tibet, China, Stans, Eastern europe, etc.  

How are the new diesel engines at high altitudes?

Thanks for suggestions.

Back to top Go down
jkstermitz
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Jeep JK Mod for world travel: V8 petrol it is, but which?   Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 5:49 am

I have the option to do a 5.7L or 6.4L Hemi. The Hemi is not much more expensive (both are via an AEV kit).

Thinking the Hemi makes the vehicle more valuable, but poorer gas mileage (though maybe I'm wrong there, too?).

I'm wondering if there's a clear opinion about this. Thanks for your inputs.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel   Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 8:06 am

I gather gas prices are still acceptable over in the states? Over here in the UK they are horrendous.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel   Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 7:20 pm

Having been born and raised in North America I understand your fascination with big V8s. I remember the first time I looked under the bonnet of a Series III Land Rover and saw the 2.25 litre 4 cylinder...my first thought was: "where is the engine?"

But if you intend of leaving North America with your vehicle and you are not independently wealthy, I strongly advise not going with the Hemi...and would be cautious about a V8 of any kind. For many reasons, but here are a few...

-Big V8s burn waayyy to much fuel and if you actually do get anywhere remote your going to have to turn back to refuel
-The quality of fuel is not the same everywhere and a finely tuned Hemi will not be happy.
-Think $8-$12 per gallon for fuel..and then think how many gallons on your trip...
-While you are there rumbling with your big V8 you are going to be passed by lots of people of rough roads with little 2 litre diesel engines who will go the exact same places on a fraction of the fuel...and more reliably
-You will never find parts when something does break...and it will.

Take some of that money you are going to spend on a Hemi and fly over and attend some of the overlanding shows here in the UK this summer and talk to people who have done this. You will learn about a thousand valuable lessons...before you spend a mound of cash.

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative but just don't want to hear you made it to Tibet one day in the future and had to abandon your truck because the Hemi dies in some mountain pass somewhere and no one could get a temporary fix in to get you out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel   Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel Empty

Back to top Go down

Jeep JK Mod - diesel or v8 gasoline for world travel
Page 1 of 1