4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

hello

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ijp
Cleaner
Cleaner
ijp

hello Empty
PostSubject: hello   hello EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Hello everyone.

Just thought I would say hello as I have just signed up to the forum.

I am in the slow process of kitting out a Ford Ranger for camping the overlanding but don't have any definite plans yet. Looking at tag along tours with the idea of steadily increasing the duration of trips away as my young family get older (2 boys currently 4 and 6). Can anyone recommend young family friendly tag alongs in Europe?

Have had a few different 4x4s including a Hilux, 110 300 tdi Defender and Jeep Cherokee. But I do like my Ranger, have just fitted an N&J canopy and very pleased with it. The sophisticated electronics of the Ranger are a bit daunting, the Defender certainly benefitted from the ability to fix / bodge it to keep it going. Think the next improvement will be to Linex the load bay, good idea or not?

I live in Aberdeenshire, are there many others from up this way on the forum? Great place to live but a long drive to get anywhere, takes at least 11 hours to Dover and there are no longer any ferry options to Norway or Iceland from up here unfortunately.

Best regards

ijp
Back to top Go down
scott.l.
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
scott.l.

hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello   hello EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 7:54 pm

Hello my fellow Aberdionian.... !
Welcome to the forum! I lived in Aberdeen until age of 15 then moved down to Norfolk, so im a bit closer to the Eurotunnel than you now. Overlanding with kids is just fantastic, and I have been doing trips with my kids for a few years now. They are aged 8 and 12, and just love going on expeditions.
I started by just going to local campsites for weekends, and then gradually kept going further distance and duration. I took my son to Morocco when he was only 9, but I did a two week trip around Scotland beforehand to iron out any issues. As far as 'family' tag along tours there are loads! I did an 'Alps' trip in 2012 with both my Son and Daughter which they both loved. There is also several companies who do Northern France which might be a closer option for you. I have just returned from a trip to Tunisia and Sahara with both my kids which was great apart from having a little knock with the Land Rover. doh 
In my experience most tag along trips are family friendly. I have been thinking about doing Ireland, which might also be an option for you, but im not aware of any 'tag' along companies operating there.
Feel free to have a look at my web site as I have a few 'expedition support' links on there who run trips in various locations.

http://global-adventures.webs.com/apps/links/

Regards,
Scott and the GA team.
Back to top Go down
http://global-adventures.webs.com/
kevinf
Cleaner
Cleaner

hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello   hello EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 8:18 pm

hello and welcome

i would agree with scotts advice, our 1st trip with the kids (6yrs and 8yrs) was the pyrennes coast to coast, after many camping trips, in the uk,just make sure that the journey to and from the start/ finish points dont have long driving days if you can avoid it
try and find campsites with pools,maybe dangle the euro disney carrot on the way back up thru france, you could also try one of the tag along tours that do weekends in the uk (the ones that camp) to get used to setting and breaking camp every day

cheers kevin
Back to top Go down
ijp
Cleaner
Cleaner
ijp

hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello   hello EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks for the advice and link Scott, loads of reading on there.

Great idea about euro Disney, will use that idea, thanks Kevin.

We already camp around Scotland, the boys love the roof top tent, think they would prefer to live in that than the house. The move from the 110 to the Ranger was made to make longer driving days more comfortable. As much as I loved the 110 it was never very comfortable so losing some off road ability to gain some comfort I think is worth it. Just sorting it out now to make living out of it comfortable.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello   hello EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 10:09 am

Welcome to the forum ijp! cheers 

Try www.alpinerovers.com I may be wrong, but I don't know of anywhere these days that this company advertises. As far as I'm aware, it is solely word of mouth among 'those who know', which of course can't be a bad thing!

Lovely genuine people, not expensive, very knowledgeable ... highly recommended. They even call in here every so often, check 'em out. cheers1 

Back to top Go down
kevinf
Cleaner
Cleaner

hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello   hello EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 8:12 pm

did the alps in 2011, with mandy,mike and german mike (alpine rovers) really are a great bunch,good mix of wild camps with a proper campsite in between to restock,not a bad drive thru france to meet them,with lots of options to extend/detour either before or after

cheers kevin
Back to top Go down
titomendes
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
titomendes

hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello   hello EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi ijp
Welcome:D 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello   hello Empty

Back to top Go down

hello
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: New to the forum? Then this is the section to say hello!-
Jump to: