4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

N.E. Morocco

Go down 
+9
landroversandwine
tuggy
glenn321
jellybenitez
sundowners
colley2.8
Tom Mc
roamingman
Tembo
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 2:59 am

That was very cool. There was a second arch not far away. Lots of interesting terrain. As for the camper, width isn't the problem...wide open spaces around there. The challenge is gound clearance and the ability to climb in and out of wadi's...small and large. If you can do that you can get most anywhere we went. That arch was about 60 miles south east of Missour following a a dry oued out of Talsint south eastwards towards Chris Scotts ME6 route.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 3:08 am

Couple more pics...

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Img_0011

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Img_0112
Back to top Go down
sundowners
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 4:18 am

Tembo wrote:
That was very cool.---. As for the camper, width isn't the problem...wide open spaces around there. The challenge is gound clearance and the ability to climb in and out of wadi's...small and large..

Thanks for that
If I were you I would hang around there a bit longer--------it's fairly hissing it down here (Wales) and the forecast is BAD---------------------
We have quite good ground clearance--approach is ok (not as good as Landy), considering the size of truck, breakover is not so bad but departure is limited because of the overhang of camper, not so bad if we can run at an angle but we are also high so got to watch we don't fall over:( 
We are not as good as Landy in the soft BUT have a HUGE amount of torque-------those gravel tracks in pics. suite us VERY well-------------------------We love the pics------if you get time/Wi-Fi we can't get enough of them:( -----------------THANKS
Nigel & Pamala---------camping in west Wales
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 5:08 am

Sure...waiting on our couscous dinner, so can post a couple more...

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Img_0113

Thats our crew coming in the distance...near Bou Arfa

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Img_0114
Back to top Go down
landroversandwine
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 6:25 am

Fantastic stuff, great pics and blog, thx. Stunning parts of Maroc few people have been to, including me.

Cheers Mark
Back to top Go down
Jed@CampervanCulture.com
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4
Jed@CampervanCulture.com

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 9:22 pm

roamingman wrote:
Well we are in Morocco, had a few problems, at the border they would not let tembo though because it was green told him to paint it so did that and all was ok, now a nice shade of white/pink,
Thats hilarious Laughing 

Jed
Back to top Go down
http://www.campervanculture.com
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 6:39 pm

Well, we are all back in Chefchouen after a rather harrowing, all day and into the night drive across the Atlas' on some twisting, narrow roads. Topped out at 5,400 feet, above the clouds and watched the sun set through them. Back to Cueta today and over to Spain...then the long trek home. I am sure all the others will put their thoughts down but from my side, this was a spectatcular trip and I am really happy we went and explored the northeast. While I may one day go have a look at the more usual must-sees, I think my next trip will be back to the same area to explore more of it. Hopefully with Tembo painted a better colour than pink....
Back to top Go down
landroversandwine
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 7:07 pm

Excellent Tembo, glad you made it to Chef, safe journey home, cheers Mark
Back to top Go down
colley2.8
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
colley2.8

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 4:45 am

Great pics guys Cool 

Here is my summary of the trip!!!!!!!
Unfortunately i had to end my trip early due to smashing my foot up, and a family emergency at home which i don't wish to discuss on an open forum.

Anyway i met up with James and John at John's house on the 11/10/13 and we took a steady drive to Portsmouth ferry port which was about an hours drive. We arrived at the port and boarded the ferry without issue, apart from James giving customs a fright with his machete Laughing 
The ferry set off and we had a 24 hour crossing to Santander.

Leaving Portsmouth ferry port

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps08859259

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps541cf3ef

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsd93ebd50

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps39d46f36

We had a steady crossing and the sea was like a duck pond really for this time of year which was nice. During the cruise we managed to get WiFi and saw on the forum that Kevin was having issues with his gearbox which was concerning. However we later received a text from Kevin informing us that he had sorted the problem. Kevin's gearbox was making a funny noise but this was solved by topping the oil up which had run a little low, nice easy fix which we all like.

We then arrived at Santander on the 12/10/13 at 17:30 Spanish time. We was all keen to get going as we had been on the ferry for 24 hours.

Pics of Santander from the ferry

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps6f05c4e5

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps3c2c1b6d

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsadd485c9

We then arrived at Santander ferry port where myself and john was stopped by customs and had a few bags scanned, but was quickly sent on our way.
We then regrouped once off the ferry and headed south to find somewhere to camp as it was about 6pm by  this time. We drove for about 45mins on the A-67 motorway and found a small service station with a petrol station and a small restaurant with a bar. We asked the owners of the petrol station if they minded if we camped on the car park and they was more than happy to help.
We set up camp and went into the bar and had a beer and some chips before going to bed.

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpse9169c59

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps81444582

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps5740130d

The next morning we was up early in the dark and had breakfast before heading south to meet up with Kevin and Gary. We then got going around 7am and hit the road.

James cooking breakfast in the dark

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps4a5a1088

The plan then was to drive south and to find a camp site around Seville, however when we got to Seville we all decided to push on and get to the camp site in Tarifa where we was meeting Garry and Kevin. It was a long day driving (approx 13 hours) but we all made it without any truck issues.

Here are some random pics of our journey south through Spain.  

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps49f1db22

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsb3b57ecb

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps7752a0dc

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps5ad81b96

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps82887508

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsf53dc786

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps47e9802e

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps307676de

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsf1650495

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsa00ae683

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsc75515e7

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps94e3bafe

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsc42a0dca

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsdfefcb47

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsd3913be3

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsf4dd122e

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps919bc898

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps7d1a4f15

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsa90f5d6e

We then arrived at the camp site in tarifa and met up with Kevin and Garry around 9pm. We set up camp and went to the on site bar on the beach and had a beer or too.
The next morning we all had breakfast and set off to Algeciras ferry port to buy tickets for the ferry the next morning. At the port there is about seven different company's that sell tickets to Ceuta and after getting prices from them all we paid 187 euros for a return ferry.
We then went back to the camp site stopping off at a super market to stock up supplies.

Here are some pics of the campsite and Algeciras ferry port

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps5a09cb26

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsc9073c09

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps5ae7c56a

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsc6711ec9

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsa38b3769

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps56ec042e

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps8e6297ef

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps5dbf62e7

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps3ea41cce

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps941b5b4d

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps70a26948

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsed5f8e4a

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsd46f52be

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsab1bd28c

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpscc956bf5

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsadfdc0cd

The next morning we was up early and began to pack tents away etc.. in the dark!!!!
When packing my truck up i tripped up in my sandals and smashed my foot on a big block of wood!! I thought i had just bruised my foot as i could move it but it was very painful.
We then set off to the ferry as it was leaving at 8am. We got on the ferry without any issues and the crossing was very easy taking 45 mins.
We then left Ceuta ferry port and headed to the Moroccan boarder which is about 5 miles.
here is a video of the drive up to the boarder.

https://s663.photobucket.com/user/colley_2009/media/BB20E247-788A-4196-AA8F-A82A7FC26D1D-1577-000002E7BCB8F9BC_zpsad64899b.mp4.html

When we arrived at the boarder it can only be described as chaos. We was jumped on straight away by touts trying to fill out the paper work for us which we have already done.  We then met one tout who spoke perfect English and he helped us all through. However once we got through the passport and vehicle import sections James was stopped!! He was told that he could not come through the boarder as Tempo looked like a military truck!!
As myself, Garry and Kevin had got though without issues we continued through the boarder to wait for James and John. We parked up on the side of the road with thousands of taxis!!
Garry then set off into morocco to find some paint to paint Tembo. He returned about 40 mins later with some paint. Garry then met James at the boarder to give him the paint. James and John then painted tembo in Ceuta and Garry, myself and Kevin set off into morocco to the campsite in Chefchaouen.

Looking back at the boarder
N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps16de0578

Myself, Kevin and Garry set off to the campsite and to get insurance on route. We drove to Tetouan and the traffic was really bad. As Kevin was leading he though he could see a short cut on the sat nav!
We ducked off the main road and started driving down very narrow roads in the city center! we took a few turns and all of a sudden we turned a corner and ended up in the middle of the city center market with thousands of people everywhere Laughing Laughing We began driving down the market street which was so narrow one tyre was on the curb and the other tyre was driving over the edge of the market stalls. its was very slow going and people was just bouncing off the sides of the trucks.
We got so lost that Kevin picked up this guy from the market who took us to get insurance and pointed us in the direction of the campsite. He was a real life saver as we could still be driving round the one way
roads Laughing 
We then got some insurance that cost 95 euros for a months cover and set off to the campsite.

Here are some pics of a journey to the campsite

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpse8ecac8c

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpse4cf8c29

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps9a74cdb9

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps690fd1cf

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps5d4d4b3f

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsaa160c7c

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps6277289a

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps0bd5679c

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps86f9c6bf

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps857f0dac

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps3cf63717

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps74042146

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps97c91006

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsd32b6de1

We then got to the campsite and waited for James and John to arrive. A few hours later they arrived with tembo fully painted!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing 

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps4b3eca04

We all set up camp and James and John popped in to town to get some fuel. An hour later they returned with John looking somewhat upset!! His thrust bearing had gone on the clutch!! However when they was in town they found a land rover garage who agreed to repair the truck.

Some pics of the campsite

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps2a213435

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps2d7099b8

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsa1d74b82

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsae6d9548

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps6201dade

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps365cdd86

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps1b6e2448

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsb0a97af5

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsb0c543cd

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zpsd65fe489

N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Null_zps7fd0a82f

This is a video of the camp site. if you listen you can here prayers taking place.
https://s663.photobucket.com/user/colley_2009/media/A99F476D-B5CA-4698-B20B-3EC048BD752A-1084-0000012BA8E193FD_zpsd53ef5c0.mp4.html

The next evening Johns truck was all fixed however, i got a call from home and had to return straight away.
The next morning i set off for home at 8am solo. I got the ferry back to Spain and and i landed on Spanish soil at 12:30. I then drove to Caen in France and got the ferry home. It took me 2 full days of driving and ferrying to get home.

Here are a few videos

https://s663.photobucket.com/user/colley_2009/media/58DA33ED-D008-4CBE-A47D-D0C28ADC6AF5-1577-000002AA1A025BD9_zps488ab38e.mp4.html

https://s663.photobucket.com/user/colley_2009/media/E79CC306-2FAB-4EFC-B0EF-F1D653C56251-1577-000003568F916079_zps811b325f.mp4.html

https://s663.photobucket.com/user/colley_2009/media/55C66549-9F27-4E72-B521-0EFA863D23C3-1577-0000036C37D308D1_zps9950692d.mp4.html

Looking forward to seeing the guys pics now Cool
Back to top Go down
sundowners
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 10:13 am

Thank you guys for the reports on this fantastic trip cheers cheers clapping clapping 
We have really enjoyed following you.
We have not considered this part of Maroc--------we hope to be down there after Xmas, and if the weather looks OK we would like to take a look
Nigel & Pamala
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks for the report Steve, but gutted for you that you had to return so early. That's a long way to go just to mangle your foot! Trust everything is okay now you're back ... including the foot.

Brings back some memories, haven't been to Morocco for ages, so really frustrated I couldn't be with you guys as you went exploring. Never mind, another day. You all made it back safely, that's the main thing.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 11:52 pm

Well update on us, we really had a great time in Morocco third day out we lost power steering, but as we were in the desert and mountains so corners were a bit tight 3/4 point turns some times, but got to a garage and found out o/s engine mount also broke so they did that and sorted pipe for power steering or so I thought, went again next day just leaking so just kept topping up,but with 4 days to get back to first camp site carried on.
got back to Spain was going to get in touch with tuggy but the next day when I hade no reply decided i must have got his number wrong, so has we are going to see Dilys's brother in Yecla near Murcia he sid he knows a garage that would help but 2 hours on the road a knocking from the gear box sounds like it could be serious so stopped to check it out, just my luck it is Saturday and Sunday tomorow might have to wait till Monday to get fixed so going on slowly to Dilys's brother. So to eat first and then under the camper again for a look.
Will report progress when we can. so hope Garry, James and John have a better trip to Sandander.

Sorry no photos yet have not had time to load them on to note book, so looks like a job for tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
ratrace
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 4:15 am

colley2.8

glad u got home safe

When u got time

1 Q did u have any trouble getting a early ferry from Santander back to Portsmouth, as a friend had to do the same and charge extra to get on the a ferry 4 days early (£100)
Back to top Go down
colley2.8
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
colley2.8

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 4:52 am

My original return ferry was booked at Santander however, there was no ferrys leaving for a couple of days. I then had to drive to Caen in France and spoke to a nice young lady at the desk and explained that I had an emergency at home, and she just transferred my ticket without issue and no extra charge.
She even gave my a 4 birth cabin instead of a 2 birth cheers1 
Back to top Go down
ratrace
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 5:25 am

so which ferry did u use to get home?
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 5:33 am

roamingman wrote:
Well update on us, we really had a great time in Morocco third day out we lost power steering, but as we were in the desert and mountains so corners were a bit tight 3/4 point turns some times, but got to a garage and found out o/s engine mount also broke so they did that and sorted pipe for power steering or so I thought, went again next day just leaking so just kept topping up,but with 4 days to get back to first camp site carried on.
got back to Spain was going to get in touch with tuggy but the next day when I hade no reply decided i must have got his number wrong, so has we are going to see Dilys's brother in Yecla near Murcia he sid he knows a garage that would help but 2 hours on the road a knocking from the gear box sounds like it could be serious so stopped to check it out, just my luck it is Saturday and Sunday tomorow might have to wait till Monday to get fixed so going on slowly to Dilys's brother.  So to eat first and then under the camper again for a look.
Will report progress when we can. so hope Garry, James and John have a better trip to Sandander.

Sorry no photos yet have not had time to load them on to note book, so looks like a job for tomorrow.
Opps! All part of life's rich tapestry, hope you get sorted.
Back to top Go down
colley2.8
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
colley2.8

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 11:43 pm

I should have explained myself a bit better.
I had a return ferry booked from Santander on the 4/11/13. However as I returned early there was no ferries leaving from Santander for a couple of days so I drove to Caen in France. When I got to Caen ferry port I explained that I had an emergency at home and that I had a return ferry booked from Santander.
The lady at the desk then just transferred my return ticket and there was no charge.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 7:22 pm

Well, Monday 04 November. Silverfox and I made it to Santander yesterday but after many miles and hours of searching couldn't find a single open hotel or campground. So headed into Santander and found the only hotel that seems to be open in Northern Spain...the Bahia Hotel right across from the port. A fairly swanky downtown hotel but the staff were great. The receptionist gave up her on street parking space for Silverfox's 110 and Tembo went down to the underground parking in an elevator. So we have had a rather luxurious end to the trip. Although with a severe weather warning this morning I imagine the ferry back to Portsmouth may be a lively trip...assuming it goes.

Back to top Go down
colley2.8
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
colley2.8

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 9:56 pm

I am glad you made it back to Santander without any issues Very Happy 
Looking forward to see your pics and videos Cool 
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 12:03 am

Well just arrived back in Normandy after a long drive in the dark and torrential rain.
I will post some pictures and a more detailed account of the trip from my view point tomorrow but I need some sleep now for a couple of hours only managed two hours in an aire somewhere between Bayonne and Poitiers can't be anymore precise as tiredness has set in lol
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 5:58 am

Gland to here you have arrived at your destination´s sadly we have problem big time, gearbox and transfer box shot, i thought was covered with AA but sadly not. So know trying to find some one with a trailer to get us to calais. By any chance does anyone know of someone in Spain who could help????
Back to top Go down
landroversandwine
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:06 am

Very sorry to hear that, hope you get it sorted. Cheers Mark
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am

Just arrived home in MK...sorry to hear Sasha is down. Hope you can find a tow. At least it didn't happen in Morocco!

Keep us posted...
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 10:06 am

Found out you can not get a tow in Spain, it has to be on a trailer or truck, found out their may be a guy not far who his a bit of a Land Rover person. clinking teacups 
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 10:19 am

It's not just the transfer box then, it's the gearbox as well? Do you know what gearbox it is - the LT77 or R380? It's probably the LT77 as that was earlier.

Regarding towing, maybe not a tow rope, but surely a straight bar is okay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

N.E. Morocco
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next