4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Anyone for Greece?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Intrepidfor10minutes
Rookie
Rookie
Intrepidfor10minutes

Anyone for Greece? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone for Greece?   Anyone for Greece? EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 10:45 pm

My cruiser has done less than 1,000 miles since returning from a 7 month trip to Mongolia in Dec 2011 (via Siberia and back through the Stans) and have been looking for a short outing before starting A 12 trip month trip from top to bottom of the Americas next year.

Waiting for a kebab last week I read an article in an old Landrover mag about 4 x 4 in Greece, which I had not previously considered but does look ideal (and the Meteora area around Kalabaka looks fascinating) and am seriously considering heading there mid October to be back mid November!

As I don't know the area I was considering joining a tour for the first week, I found one for 8 days for less than £250.00 per person, but there are not currently sufficient parties so will probably be cancelled.

If anyone knows some good routes or is interested in hooking up (or both) I would be interested to here from you, and if interested in the 8 day tour might be enough for the trip to go ahead. Or if anyone is considering a short trip before a longer adventure this would be ideal and you drive to Trieste and ship to Igoumenitsa and back then you stay in the EU for the whole trip and therefore are covered by insurance and breakdown.

I normally travel with my wife but will be joined by Pete for this trip (who joined me for a previous trip to Morocco). We are now in our 60's but still in our 30's at heart (except maybe a little slower).
Back to top Go down
http://intrepidfor10minutes.com
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Anyone for Greece? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone for Greece?   Anyone for Greece? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 9:59 pm

I have often thought of Greece as a nice country to travel through.
A friend of mine did a tour there  a few years back now and loved it his final destination was Cyprus (where I met him) he enjoyed Greece and left his truck a few times with locals who looked after it for a few days while he and his wife did a few island trips on foot, he found the people outside of the larger cities very friendly and trust worthy unlike his arrival in Cyprus where the local immigration officers stiffed him for £800 import tax on his vehicle for 30 days.
But I can't say too much about Cyprus as my parents retired there 20 years ago and I love the country but many of the locals do have a sell thier grandmother approach to life.

But I for one would love to spend some time driving around Greece maybe one year thumbsup

Oh and welcome to the forum, it may be a bit quiet for a few days on here as loads of the members will be at the Adventure Overland show.
Back to top Go down
Intrepidfor10minutes
Rookie
Rookie
Intrepidfor10minutes

Anyone for Greece? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone for Greece?   Anyone for Greece? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 10:12 pm

I plan to be at the Adventure Overland Show myself on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
http://intrepidfor10minutes.com
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Anyone for Greece? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone for Greece?   Anyone for Greece? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Intrepidfor10minutes wrote:
I plan to be at the Adventure Overland Show myself on Sunday.
See you there I'll be on the Landy Rally / Overland travel forum pitch, when I'm not spending money I will have the kettle on clinking teacups 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Anyone for Greece? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone for Greece?   Anyone for Greece? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone for Greece?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: PROPOSED - Overland Trips & Expeditions-
Jump to: