4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Overlooked Tips

Go down 
+9
MrLeadfoot
tuggy
Chris S
freespirit4x4
rustyrhinos
Vixen
roamingman
Tom Mc
Assassin
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MrLeadfoot
Cleaner
Cleaner
MrLeadfoot

Overlooked Tips - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overlooked Tips   Overlooked Tips - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 5:05 am

rustyrhinos wrote:
Haha. I'm not having jerrys in the car -- they stink the thing out! Been there done it, it gives me a headache!
I,m with you on jerrys in the car, no way, car stuff & off-road gear outside, inside is for living.
Back to top Go down
https://gs136.photobucket.com/groups/q176/P3MU9QIL52/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Overlooked Tips   Overlooked Tips - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 8:39 am

Chris S wrote:
Another thing, which wasn't something I thought of but think is very sound advice, is that rather than carry a stack of new spares in case something breakes, replace it before you go and carry the OLD one, on the off chance the new part fails. that way if you are unfortunate enough for somethign new to break you'll know it stands half a chance of comign off using hand tools without snapping/rounding/stripping threads etc.
Alternatively, buy a new 110 and A-frame your current vehicle behind as a donor vehicle! Fine in theory Chris, but you obviously haven't seen the way I drive? I'd have to replace 99% of the RR before I departed, and of course it would be the remaining 1% that would fail. No
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Overlooked Tips   Overlooked Tips - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 4:07 am

To quote an often used phrase Preparation, Preparation, Preparation and then be prepared when the unexpected happens.

Margaret
Back to top Go down
polard11
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Overlooked Tips   Overlooked Tips - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 3:34 pm

i don't have any tips for this .

Pescado Mojado
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Overlooked Tips   Overlooked Tips - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 12:46 pm

One thing not to do is buy cheap plastic disposable lighters as they explode when they get too hot, we all know how hot a 4X4 can get in a British summer as many are greenhouses on wheels, so imagine what foreign temperatures can do.

Been several cases of them exploding and many manufacturers state this on their information or instruction sheets.

One way round this is to use a petrol Zippo lighter as they cannot ignite with the lid down, but can dry out in hot temperatures so a refill can of fuel is a must; or just carry a couple of boxes of waterproof matches.
Back to top Go down
twende
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
twende

PostSubject: Re: Overlooked Tips   Overlooked Tips - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 7:45 am

Easy one to remember is.. Fail to Prepare = Prepare to Fail.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Overlooked Tips   Overlooked Tips - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 9:42 pm

On getting 'lost'

One of my favorite stories came from the American frontier legend Davy Crockett. When asked by a newspaperman during a visit to town if he ever got lost up in the mountains and wilderness Davy replied: 'Nope, never been lost. Been a might confused for a few weeks at a time, but never lost!"

I always used this story when teaching navigation in the military. Essentially, you are only really lost when you sit down and give up. Until then, you're just 'a might confused.'
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Overlooked Tips   Overlooked Tips - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 10:28 pm

I never say I am lost, just going a different way to other people. laughing pound
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Overlooked Tips   Overlooked Tips - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 7:17 am

Tembo wrote:
Essentially, you are only really lost when you sit down and give up. Until then, you're just 'a might confused.'
Like it, never a truer word spoken in jest.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overlooked Tips   Overlooked Tips - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Overlooked Tips
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2