HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

UK insurance abroard

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: UK insurance abroard   Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:45 am

Just a quick word of warning I've just had to cut short a trip on the continent due to finding out my vehicle insurance was null and void due to the vehicle being out of the UK for more than 90 days in a 12 months period.

When questioned Swift cover told me it's quite standard if the car is insured in the UK then it spends an extended time out of the country it's not covered.

As I'm doing France, Andorra, Spain and Morocco later in the year I had to cut my trip short to leave enough days over for the trip.

I'm not sure if anyone else has come across this but it would be good to hear other's take on it.

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:08 am

What???!!! That's bad (the old fashioned 'bad', not the modern one meaning 'good' - confused ... I am? scratch )

Never heard of this before, just as well you've brought up the subject. A bit of research is due I'd say.

Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Such exclusions are now unfortunately all too common as insurers look to cut corners to cut premiums and maintain profits.

Anyone looking to go abroad are advised to check the small print to check exactly what's included and what's not included; other exclusions are often insurance on any towed broken down vehicle, trailers, and anything which is only rarely used.
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:29 pm

Our UK insurance - NFU Mutual - cancelled our insurance once we mentioned we were travelling further than Morocco - they wouldn't even cover us for Morocco! Swines.

We met someone on the road in Uganda who had managed to insure her UK car in Africa - something we never managed.

She used Campbell Irvine - and they are even paying out when she had an accident in Kenya!

Maybe Campbell Irvine may also do a policy for extended trips to European continent?

rgds

Blog: www.kapp2cape-blog.net
Overland from Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas
The adventure begins in October 2012!
Departure: Adventure Overland Show, 7th October 2012
Back to top Go down
http://www.kapp2cape.net
scott.l.
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Also be aware that in the small print, your breakdown cover may not include to repatriate the vehicle if the cost of recovery is more than the value of the vehicle (book price) I.e. if you have an old vehicle then they may decide to write it off rather than recover it if you have a major breakdown.....
If possible try and get an agreed valuation rather than rely on the book price.

Life is not a rehearsal!!
Back to top Go down
http://global-adventures.webs.com/
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:16 pm

A lot depends on where you are. In Africa, I always just went and bought whatever the minimum local legal requirement was. In Southern and East Africa you used to be able to get a 'green card' that insured you in about a dozen countries. Other places really don't care, despite what their laws say. Few locally owned vehicles have insurance so it isn't really expected.

Also, given how greedy insurance companies are anywhere in the world, there's always someone who is willing to sell you insurance even if your vehicle isnt registered there. So, I would check with my insurance company and if they don't cover beyond three months, put the policy on hold if possible and pick up some insurance locally while you travel.

Your insurance company here may fuss and threaten but given how competitive (read greedy and unethical) the market is, they will make you a great offer when you return for insuring with them again.

There is my insurance rant....

Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:42 am

Cos mines a camper and insured as such , my policy covers 365 days in Europe, and its definition of europe is quite a bit bigger than you'd expect.

So if you have a vehicle defined as a camper then it should be fairly easy

Rich

Iveco Turbo Daily 4x4 'Thumper'
Isuzu TFS69 Pickup 'The bakkie'
Ex Owner of Tiggurr The 101

"And that road rolls out like a welcome mat
I don't know where it goes but it beats where we're at
We always said someday somehow
We were gonna get away gonna blow this town" --------- Lonestar
Back to top Go down
twende
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:39 am

I can second that Rich. Chas with the 130 Demountable (Off Road House) is insured with NFU, they have sent him a statement saying that as long as the vehicle is UK compliant and road legal it is insured throughout Europe 365 days.

c/o Chas Cooper.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:47 am

Shame I've only got a disco and not a camper.

There is another side issue here for 21 of the days I'm away I will be in Morocco and have to purchase insurance there, now does the truck have to be insured on my own policy in the uk for the Moroccan insurance to be validated ?

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
scott.l.
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:29 pm

Well I am about to find out for real.... as just crashed the Landy in Tunisia, so will be phoning my insurance for European breakdown cover once we get it to Italy...... !!!doh 

Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:34 pm

Hope everyone is ok ?
It's still driveable I take it so you can limp back to Europe ?

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:06 pm

Shame, just hope everyone is okay as mentioned. Good luck with the insurance cover as well!

Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:14 am

Jesus what an adventure getting the Landy back to Italy!!! Could not have done it without the help from James at Overland Junkies. Insurance seems to be fine with getting to back to UK. Everyone is ok thanks.... but Landy needs A LOT of work..... Will upload photos on my web page soon.

Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:39 am

Just a quick addition to this post about vehicle insurance.

It also seems your house insurance does not cover you if the dwelling remains empty for extended periods again check the small print for exclusions etc.

Just a heads up thumbsup 

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
scott.l.
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:57 pm

Just thought I would give you all an update on my situation. After the inital call to my recovery company it's now almost a month later, that my Land Rover 'may' be picked up.
To start with they gave me a delivery date of 26th Sep, and told me that my policy fully covered me. I then recieved an e mail stating that since my vehicle only had 3 wheels the original company had doubled the cost and this then took the cost over the amount I was covered for. I was rather annoyed as I gave full details of the the state of the Landy when I called them originally. They also said they found it hard to find the place where the Landy was stored even though I had sent them a Google screen shot of exactly where it was and all the Garage telephone numbers and address!
I told them to go away and look for a better quote and delivery date, as they said the new delivery date was going to be 22nd Oct..!!
Finally they came back to me and have found a slightly cheaper quote, but im still going to have to pay out for the amount over what I am covered for, and delivery date is suppose to be the 4th October, however its the 3rd today, and it still has not moved!
They did mention about changing the file from a breakdown to a accident, but I am 100% convinced they would write the vehicle off, as they would then need to send out an assessor. As i mentioned previously in this thread they will only go on the standard book price for evaluating recovery.
I have however recieved loads of offers of help from friends, which I have been very gratefull for and have found a local trailer company that I can hire a tipper trailer with a winch. I also have a mate who is willing to tow the trailer and go to Italy with me to collect the Landy ourselves. Therefore if the recovery company don't get their finger out, I may have to head to Italy myself to go get it..!!!!

I suggest you all check the small print with you breakdown cover, and also check to see what your limit is for cost of repatriation, and if you have a major issue, don't expect anything to happen quickly!!!!

Back to top Go down
scott.l.
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:23 pm

and to answer you question, no its not an easy repair job.

RHS front Radius arm has been ripped from chassis,
Outrigger wrecked,
Front axle bent,
Transfer box split, (possible main gearbox damage)
Dent in main chassis rail,
All steering arms bent,

Good news is Bulkhead looks unaffected, and I was thinking about putting a recondition gearbox in anyway (Ashcroft with Disco ratios)! I have a secondhand axle at my disposal. Just need to sort the chassis.

My GPS said I was doing 56 Mph when we hit the boulder. I had fitted a load guard / dog gaurd as suggested by Chris Scott's Overlanding handbook. The load guard is now bent, but it certianly saved me and my kids from all the kit in the back shooting forward and hitting us. If you don't have one, then fit one!!!!! I had also fitted high back seats in the rear and this also saved my kids from major injury.

Back to top Go down
scott.l.
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:17 pm

cheers Just got notified by my Tracker that its now left..!!  Finally..!!!!!  Laughing I must say once the inital confusion over 4 wheels / 3 wheels was sorted, the recovery company have been good at keeping me updated.
Its certianly been one hell of a learning curve for me from getting the 3 wheeled Landy from middle of Tunisia across to Italy, and then dealing with the repatriation. !!! :shock: 

Back to top Go down
sundowners
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:28 am

Not many insurers cover for 365 days ABROARD !!!!!!!!if you are going to be away a few months check your small print-----we are covered by caravan club --fair price IMHO------they wouldn't only cover motorhomes as they cover car/caravan units---the car MUST be covered without a caravan in tow !!
Recovery is also an issue----we have ADAC and RAC------ADAC looks like a very good bet (but will not recover over 3.2m high !! ----We would have to remove boxes from the roof---maybe A/C unit too !!!)
ADAC offer a LOT for the money.
But we would have to get border ins. in Maroc.
Nigel & Pamala
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:24 pm

Wideformat:

Good point about the home insurance, many companies now specify that the heating must remain on from October to March if the house is unattended, and it most be visited regularly by a keyholder, this can vary between three times a week to once a fortnight depending on your insurer and policy type.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:23 pm

If insurers can wriggle out of it ... mad 

Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:49 pm

Its not really that Tom, domestic home insurance operates under the assumption that the person resides at the premises and would be aware of any problem/issue in a reasonable timeframe, hence the regular checks, if you have a burst pipe while at work you would become aware of it when you return home, act to minimise damage by turning off the water to prevent further damage and report the problem.

Under all insurances you have a duty of care and if you cause additional damages or incur additional expenses you are liable for them as opposed to your insurers and this includes a failure to act to reasonably prevent any additional damage or expense.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:49 am

Fair enough, never thought about it from their angle. Big difference between a bust pipe for 8 hours as opposed to 8 or more days.

Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:58 am

Its just another of those things people need to consider.
Back to top Go down
sundowners
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:11 pm

while we are away, we turn off the power and water which reduces the risk of damage------if the ins. Co. insists on leaving the heating on (which it seems some do) then the risk of fire/water damage is increased------we have antifreeze in the c/heating system.
Are the insurance companies just looking for a way not to pay out on claims ????
Nigel & Pamala
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:35 pm

No, not really; what they are doing is looking after you and their interests, you may turn your water and power off but what if something else goes wrong, the house becomes damp and things become mouldy, or we have torrential rain and your house is flooded, or some other damage occurs because of wind for example and you lose part of the roof.

Insurance companies gather considerable data and they base their advice on this data, it is what they find the most effective and base their advice on this. They take a more balanced view of the bigger picture and turning off power means an alarm won't work so what's the point in having a burglar alarm for example, particularly if you receive a discount in your premium for having it. Burglar breaks in, alarm not working, nobody knows about the break in for a few weeks and suddenly your burglar alarm is found to be inactive so you have neglected your duty of care. Had alarm been working and burglar breaks in a neighbour could have called the police and they stand a chance of catching the burglar, caught burglar goes to court and is found guilty, insurers put in a compensation claim, thief pays over months, insurers pay out but are recouping their loss, your premiums don't have to rise to cover lots of unrecoverable losses.

There are many variables.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UK insurance abroard   

Back to top Go down

UK insurance abroard
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Main Chat Forum-
Jump to: