4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Anybody good at navigation?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Anybody good at navigation? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody good at navigation?   Anybody good at navigation? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 11:14 pm

HELP!!!

Anybody out there any good at navigation? If so I need some bodies to help out in the "Navigation Knowhow" attraction at ADVENTURE OVERLAND 2013, weekend of 28-29 September 2013 at Stratford Racecourse, Warwickshire.

To cut a long story short, the guy running the feature has just had to withdraw due to personal reasons, so I'm up XXXXcreek without a paddle  ... and because my GPS expert has just fallen overboard,I now don't even know whether to head upstream or down!

The "Navigation Knowhow" attraction is basically a feature whereby visitors to the show can be advised on mapping, GPS/Memory Maps and the like, and even emergency navigation using the sun/stars as a guide (we already have the same type of 'advice centre' for expedition first aid, campervan conversions, bush mechanics, etc.) so obviously it’ll be a popular feature. What we'll do is have a board with a rota, that way individuals can sign up for 1 hour on, 2 hours off. That way nobody will be lumbered there all day long.

So, if you have skills in any of those departments, please contact me via email, my address in on the event website - www.adventureoverlandshow.com  A free weekend pass awaits any individual who can help extract me from that certain creek I mentioned earlier; ta!
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Anybody good at navigation?   Anybody good at navigation? EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 5:04 pm

Sorry Tom, I am strictly a map and compass kind of guy.
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Re: Anybody good at navigation?   Anybody good at navigation? EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 11:34 pm

Tom - we'd love to help out ... but we are still on the road.

We'd love to give tips ... coz sometimes relying solely on the ol' GPS without engaging brain leads to amusing consequences in Africa ...

Maybe next time?

rgds
Back to top Go down
http://www.kapp2cape.net
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Anybody good at navigation?   Anybody good at navigation? EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 7:06 am

No problem chaps, thought I'd ask just in case. As it happens, I've half solved the problem already. At the Eastnor Castle Land Rover Show last weekend I met a chap called Kev Sidford FRGS (Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society) who has kindly stepped in to run the "Kavigation Knowhow" attraction at AO`13. cheers 

He's not that great with electronic GPS-type stuff so I still have to fill that void, but like you Tembo he's mustard with a map and compass. The fact he provides Certified Navigation Training on a commercial basis speaks volumes.

Kev actually runs a company trekking company entitled Mountainrite, reckon the first couple of paragraphs from the homepage of his website says it all -

Mountainrite is born from 30 years of worldwide adventure travel and expedition experience. Kev Sidford the owner is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and is an International Mountain Leader.  He has led expeditions in countries ranging from Canada, Kyrgyzstan, South Africa, Nepal, Morocco and Romania.

Mountainrite has developed a fantastic range of treks in the Carpathian Mountains of Romania, the Atlas Mountains of Morocco, the Jetim Bel Range in Kyrgyzstan, the Pamirs in Tajikistan and a spectacular twenty-two day trek along the Wakhan Corridor.  They are a blend of energising culture and picturesque landscapes with a diverse and fantastic range of flora and fauna.

Source: www.mountainrite.com

As I say, all I have to do now is find somebody au fait with GPS and electronic hardwars and I've cracked it. A real boon meeting Kev, funny the way things turn out. Phew!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody good at navigation?   Anybody good at navigation? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anybody good at navigation?
Page 1 of 1