4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Overlanders shower kit

Go down 
+12
Jed@CampervanCulture.com
Assassin
Gold Rig
sundowners
twende
Tembo
tuggy
ratrace
Tom Mc
andyk
SafariDude
iveco4x4
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dave10101
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Shower   Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 11:08 am

Hi All. I would like a shower system on my overland landy however for the times I'll use (and even less the times I'll actually need to use it) I don't want to go to anything complex or bulky.
So my thoughts are of simply using a gravity fed shower head with no form of heating the water.

I am making a jerry can holder that will hold 5 x 10 litre jerry cans to be roof rack mounted. I'm thinking of linking all the cans together (if I need 50 litres for a shower or three) and simply letting the water run out via some kind of shower head that can be turned on & off, Probably with some kind of tap up near the tanks to avoid any major pipe failings.

Would plastic or metal jerry cans be better for warming the water in the sun and I guess black is the colour to go for? I don't know how warm the water will get if I shower before lunch but any warmth would be a bonus.
If things really take off I'll add a heated manifold but that is something for the future if ever things get serious.
So does anyone have any ideas on any problems I may encounter. I'm hoping to add a filler cap on the jerry cans so I can hose pipe fill in situ.
The only thing I can think off is an air lock inthe line's.

See you in Stratford - P.S> Tom, i'm less than 2 minutes walk/drive from the racecourse if I can help with anything before the show and probably after?

Cheers Dave.
Back to top Go down
twende
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
twende

PostSubject: Re: Overlanders shower kit   Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Dave, you're better off with a plastic bag shower kit if space is tight. See Utube example attached. They are only a couple of quid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PePTfpVsCQM
Back to top Go down
scott.l.
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
scott.l.

PostSubject: Re: Overlanders shower kit   Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 9:38 pm

I use the Kampa system, and have mentioned this on previous threads. Its great..!! I did away with the pump that you drop in a jerry can and rigged it up to my internal water tank with a sure flow pump. I now have 44 Ltrs of hot or cold water by press of a switch.
Its not boiling, but does an excellent warm shower.

http://www.kampa.co.uk/products/camp-kitchens-washing/washing/geyser-hot-water-system/
Back to top Go down
http://global-adventures.webs.com/
Dave10101
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Shower Kit   Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 10:21 pm

Yes the bags are a good idea. However a bit faffy in a way. And the kampa water heater is a bit bulky and faffy. Like I say for the times I'll actually "need" to use it anything bulky is a no, as I already carry a fully loaded Defender.
The other reason behind the jerry can idea is I can carry water for washing up, washing in etc. Being in jerry cans would I use it for drinking/cooking - what are people's thoughts on this?

I am fitting a TD5 rear tank to be used for Diesel as original plan was possibly a water tank here. But that still left me with just 40 litres of diesel on the roof. So a better plan is in progress.

Anyway back to the question, metal or plastic jerry cans?

Cheers Dave.

P.S. I'll probably have a Front Runner twin 20 Ltr Jerry can holder in good condition available if anyone requires one. Complete with dark green cans. Price? Offers before it goes on Ebay?
Back to top Go down
scott.l.
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
scott.l.

PostSubject: Re: Overlanders shower kit   Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 10:33 pm

I dont find the Kampa 'faffy' at all.... flick the switch, hey presto instant water. I have fitted mine into the back of my 110 and still have enough space for all the rest of the gear I take on big trips with my kids.
If you are going down the jerry can route then I suggest plastic! Black type MOD ones are the best, as you can throw them on the roof and if you have enough sun it will heat the water. They are strong as well. However as with any water container, make sure you treat it regularly with a chemical that kills all bugs. (most camping shops have tablets to use)
I would always keep dish / shower water seperate from drinking water, so maybe 2 x black type jerry cans? Always good to have a back up anyway incase one leaks.....
Back to top Go down
http://global-adventures.webs.com/
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Overlanders shower kit   Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 4:12 am

Hi, is it too much water and diesel on the roof a problem, I thought all the wight should be nearer the ground??
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Jed@CampervanCulture.com
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4
Jed@CampervanCulture.com

PostSubject: Re: Overlanders shower kit   Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 6:21 am

I have been using the portable non heated shower set up that you drop into a black jerry can that you use as a solar shower for a couple of years. In fact I have been working away all last week in my camper and have been using it every night. You do soon get used to cold showers but if its really cold I wouldn't want to use it.

The thing is when relying on the un to heat your tank is that when it is finally sunny enough to heat your tank you really wouldn't mind a cold shower to cool you down.

Jed
Back to top Go down
http://www.campervanculture.com
sundowners
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Re: Overlanders shower kit   Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 9:40 am

We just carry one (plastic) 20 l container for water--this is used for shower (when required) and carting drinking water (when required) to fill the on-board tank------if there is any doubt about contamination in the container---we always carry Milton fluid---it's fantastic cleaning/sterilising stuff.

Regarding the simple shower---all American campers have a simple push tap on the shower rose------as does our submersible pump shower-----using this we can have 2 showers with that 20 litres------we have used this (syphon) system for many years-----but now use the submersible pump shower or the on-board tank/pump/water heater/shower.
I don't even lift the 20 l. container to fill the tank now---I'm certainly NOT going to lift it on the roof to get a syphon shower
Nigel & Pamala
Back to top Go down
Gold Rig
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Gold Rig

PostSubject: Re: Overlanders shower kit   Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 10:46 pm

scott.l. wrote:
I use the Kampa system, and have mentioned this on previous threads. Its great..!! I did away with the pump that you drop in a jerry can and rigged it up to my internal water tank with a sure flow pump. I now have 44 Ltrs of hot or cold water by press of a switch.
Its not boiling, but does an excellent warm shower.

http://www.kampa.co.uk/products/camp-kitchens-washing/washing/geyser-hot-water-system/
That system is pretty much identical to the Companion system we use.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Overlanders shower kit   Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 7:10 pm

I always used this system. Canvas bag I bought in Zimbabwe with a tap and on/off handle. Folded up easy. Used this all over East and Southern Africa. Pic is my son having a shower at Chitake in Mana Pools.

Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 Bear_i10
Back to top Go down
Jed@CampervanCulture.com
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4
Jed@CampervanCulture.com

PostSubject: Re: Overlanders shower kit   Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 8:13 am

Tembo wrote:
I always used this system. Canvas bag I bought in Zimbabwe with a tap and on/off handle. Folded up easy. Used this all over East and Southern Africa. Pic is my son having a shower at Chitake in Mana Pools.

Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 Bear_i10
Bloody hell I forgot about those, we used those when I was in Africa all the time.

Jed
Back to top Go down
http://www.campervanculture.com
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Overlanders shower kit   Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 2:06 am

Tom Mc wrote:
£139 - decent price. Although I get wary every time I see the magic words ... "The unit can be plugged in to a cigarette lighter socket". Depends what you're running of course, a pump in this case, but how many times have leads melted with an array of kit plugged into cigarette lighter sockets? My fridge for one! Far better to have heavier duty cable and crocodille clips straight to the battery.
Yeah I seem to remember someones fairy lights setting light to the drivers seat in their RRC while plugged into the lighter socket, now I wonder who that was ?
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Overlanders shower kit   Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 6:32 am

wideformat4x4 wrote:
Tom Mc wrote:
£139 - decent price. Although I get wary every time I see the magic words ... "The unit can be plugged in to a cigarette lighter socket". Depends what you're running of course, a pump in this case, but how many times have leads melted with an array of kit plugged into cigarette lighter sockets? My fridge for one! Far better to have heavier duty cable and crocodille clips straight to the battery.
Yeah I seem to remember someones fairy lights setting light to the drivers seat in their RRC while plugged into the lighter socket, now I wonder who that was ?
No Comment! Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overlanders shower kit   Overlanders shower kit - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Overlanders shower kit
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2