HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

suspension advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: suspension advice   Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:54 am

Or some bloody big balance weights.
Back to top Go down
Wunnten
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: suspension advice   Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Just a late comment on this.

After using aftermarket springs for years on my 110 (ok but unpredictable - some were fine, others seriously dangerous) and quality shocks like Bilsteins, when it all needed upgrading I went back to OE Land Rover standard springs all round with Armstrong shocks (bargain!) and high quality bushes (SuperPro) and added inner airbags on the rears.

It gives a relatively inexpensive suspension upgrade with proven components that are widely available (except perhaps the bags) and allows a fair degree of flexibility by being able to whack the bag pressure up or down as appropriate for the conditions.

The thing that really scared me (and the independent LR garage owner I went to for advice) were the three sets of proper part numbered springs no-brand springs from a large UK LR parts dealer which were so saggy that the van nearly rolled over (empty!). The garage owner was reluctant to let me back on the road after he took a 400m test run and made a turn in it, and came back ashen-faced.

The supplier sent me two more full sets, all were scary. I made a formal complaint to them and was informed "We've sold loads and had no complaints from anyone else so it must be your vehicle." I gave up and went back to LR's own parts.

The van at the point was an unmodified 110 HT with no additional bits and all regular components so what was up with their springs is anyone's guess. It's made me very wary of non-standard stuff. But that's not to say some of it isn't good, it can be excellent, and great value for money, it's just finding it!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: suspension advice   Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:54 am

"no-brand springs from a large UK LR parts dealer"

You can name the LR part dealer as you're not saying anything about their products that wasn't true - in your opinion of course.

Besides, if they've "sold loads and had no complaints from anyone else", then their products are obvious wonderful so they couldn't complain about the free advertising! Twisted Evil

Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: suspension advice   Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:22 am

"You can name the LR part dealer as you're not saying anything about their products that wasn't true - in your opinion of course."

Yes, precisely why I've not named them! They were adamant the problem was at my end, I was adamant it wasn't!  I'd rather not got involved in a slanging match with anyone. To be honest they were very helpful over the matter, paying for postage both ways on three sets to ensure I was satisfied, so that's pretty good service. Just a shame the springs were hopeless!  Poor product, good retailer, whom I've used for loads of other stuff and had sterling service from.

It was a retailer who uses a green and red colour scheme on their website. Should narrow it down.

I was recommended them by a friend who'd bought their springs and was happy with them (and who helped me install the scary ones) and even he was surprised by the way my van handled.

I've no idea what size a 'batch' of springs is so it may be this was a dodgy run that was sold out and the problem rectified in the next run.

Edit to add: the other 'variables' in the equation, the bushes, were fine, and the shocks also - they were new Bilsteins. The new shocks with the old springs was safe and handled perfectly, although too hard - the reason why I was swapping springs (it had HD rears when I bought it because it was an ex-utility truck and set up for towing a trailer.) The 'new' springs with the Bilsteins were terrible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: suspension advice   

Back to top Go down

suspension advice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2