4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Hyundai Terracan Clutch

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
johnbb_1964
Rookie
Rookie

Hyundai Terracan Clutch Empty
PostSubject: Hyundai Terracan Clutch   Hyundai Terracan Clutch EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi I have just purchased a UK 54 plate 2.9 Terracan. 104K with full history. 85% of the time you need to be quite firm to get the gear leaver to go into gear, the other 15% of the time it's fine. No clutch slip at all and I have just driven 250 miles home with it no problems. I believe it needs a clutch and I have just dropped it off at my mechanics for a look. I am looking for a bit of advice:

1) What is the view on replacing the flywheel - I know it's recommended but whats the impact of not doing it?

2) Is there a cheaper way to replace/repair the flywheel - they seem to be very expensive and i read somewhere that they cannot be skimmed

3) Does anybody know of a good place to source the parts at sensible money?

4) Anybody know of a good clutch place that could do the job, i fear my mechanic won't take it on!

5) If I keep driving the car as is - very useable, am i likely to do more damage.......if not i might just use it as is for the moment.

Thanks for your help John
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Hyundai Terracan Clutch   Hyundai Terracan Clutch EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 12:47 am

Hi John, welcome to the forum. cheers

Doubtless the Terracancan Brigade will be along shortly to answer your questions.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Hyundai Terracan Clutch   Hyundai Terracan Clutch EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 1:24 pm

Depends if it has a DMF, if so then the best thing is to buy a solid flywheel kit complete with clutch, no more problems.

If it is a standard flywheel then take it off and have it skimmed by a reputable company as they can mount it correctly and measure any run out with a dial gauge and take the exact amount off to flatten it, and the same off the raised flange portion so it has an equal amount off across it; if its too far gone for skimming them they can tell you before skimming it, most people tell you they can't be skimmed so they sell you a nice new flywheel because its in their financial interests to do so.
Back to top Go down
johnbb_1964
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Terracan Clutch   Hyundai Terracan Clutch EmptyWed May 01, 2013 2:12 am

Thank's for the feedback, The local Hyundai dealer quotes £625 for a clutch replacement and £1350 if the flywheel needs doing........and yep you don't know if the flywheel needs doing until you strip it down.........ouch!

Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Hyundai Terracan Clutch   Hyundai Terracan Clutch EmptyWed May 01, 2013 4:43 am

If its DMF then replace it if you intend keeping the vehicle as DMF are more trouble than they're worth, you know its been done and a solid flywheel and clutch kit can be supplied and fitted by an independent garage for around £700, as its a Mercedes item and they are popular engines the solid flywheel and clutch kits are plentiful and readily available.
Back to top Go down
johnbb_1964
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Terracan Clutch   Hyundai Terracan Clutch EmptyWed May 01, 2013 5:11 am

Thank you, I like the sound of that........do you know any places that have experience of doing it? I have talked to a few places and they will only quote for "what the book says".
Back to top Go down
cuza68
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Hyundai Terracan Clutch   Hyundai Terracan Clutch EmptyThu May 30, 2013 3:31 am

where abouts are you??? If you are looking for a job well done by someone who knows what they are doing have a word here.

http://tiburonauto.co.uk/contact-us/

Ross is a sound chap and knows his stuff and wont rip you off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hyundai Terracan Clutch   Hyundai Terracan Clutch Empty

Back to top Go down

Hyundai Terracan Clutch
Page 1 of 1