4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Car Maintenance Courses

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
SafariDude

Car Maintenance Courses Empty
PostSubject: Car Maintenance Courses   Car Maintenance Courses EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 7:52 am

Anyone know of any good, simple (really simple!) courses to learn simple car maintenance? When I finally get a new car, and assuming I can get a 300 tdi or LC 80 or the like, I guess knowing some car maintenance would be useful. Especially if I need this knowledge out in the bush affraid

What would I need to learn? I think how to change oil, spark plugs?, filters? Or do you think I could just pick up a Haynes style manual and pick up enough from that to learn how to do a service?

Do the overland shows do this kind of stuff?
Back to top Go down
http://www.alternativeafricanadventures.co.uk/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Car Maintenance Courses   Car Maintenance Courses EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 11:51 am

Funny you should ask as I've introduced a new attraction at ADVENTURE OVERLAND entitled "Bush Mechanics". It's one thing repairing vehicles in a proper workshop, another matter entirely fixing a dead motor out in the boonies.

Sponsored by Frogs Island 4x4 of Abingdon in Oxfordshire, there will be a host of mechanics on hand to give tips and advice on the best way to keep your steed rolling when on the road ... or off it!

As for courses, there's a guy I know of called Dave Gunning who runs exactly the type of African-based coursed you're seeking here in the UK. You can find him here:- www.bushmechanics.co.uk

Don't know I know the guy personally so can't say whether his courses are good or bad. Put it this way, I've heard nothing bad about him, so that has to be a good thing. Still following? scratch What I'm trying to say is, bad news travels really fast in the 4x4 community, so I'd say that 'no news is good news' in this instance. Contact him, what have you got to lose?
Back to top Go down
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
SafariDude

PostSubject: Re: Car Maintenance Courses   Car Maintenance Courses EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 6:15 am

Thanks for info Tom. We're hoping to go to the Adventure Overland show so hopefully we'll get to play there scratch

I might even have my own truck by then ... we have someone looking for something suitable for us Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.alternativeafricanadventures.co.uk/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Car Maintenance Courses   Car Maintenance Courses EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 4:21 am

Well, time's on your side and you're certainly doing your reseach before leaping in feet first. Will be interesting to see hat you finally end up with.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Car Maintenance Courses   Car Maintenance Courses EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 6:29 am

Many local colleges run basic motor mechanic courses, look at your local education authority site for a list of colleges, then look at these colleges and find a suitable course near you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Car Maintenance Courses   Car Maintenance Courses Empty

Back to top Go down

Car Maintenance Courses
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Main Chat Forum-
Jump to: