4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Beauty of B Roads

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Beauty of B Roads Empty
PostSubject: Beauty of B Roads   Beauty of B Roads EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 4:06 am

Had a meeting this morning and set off in plenty of time, it was a nice day and the motorway was showing massive tailbacks due to an accident; into the sat nav for a quick reprogramming to avoid all motorways and major routes which only left the minor roads.

It was a fascinating drive with stunning scenery, and I often wonder why more people don't make use of the minor roads, less stress, no hold up's and scenery to rival the best in the world. It actually took me about 15 minutes more to complete my journey than it would have done if I had taken major roads. I often think if more people used these minor roads they would find many gems they would ordinarily miss.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Beauty of B Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beauty of B Roads   Beauty of B Roads EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 7:32 am

I quite often do the very same myself, makes a nice change not having to rush everywhere now I'm not working.

Although when I was last in France I avoided motorways and toll roads and after 45 minutes I was only 5k outside Calais so I did an about face and took to the autoroutes as I needed to be somewhere before it got dark to pitch the tent etc
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Beauty of B Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beauty of B Roads   Beauty of B Roads EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 11:01 am

If I have an important meeting when I must be there on time (I realise you should be at all meetings on time, but meeting up with mates is just not the same as a business meeting that could quite literally change your life!!!) I will plan a route where it avoids motorways. On a motorway all it takes is one relatively minor accident and that can delay you for an hour, anything more major and it can be hours.

If a hold up occurs on A or B roads, then taking another route is usually easy, even if it means turning around to double back and find a parallel road.

I therefore agree 100%, 'standard roads' are often the best policy.
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's
iveco4x4

Beauty of B Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beauty of B Roads   Beauty of B Roads EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 7:11 am

I too use the smaller roads, especially when in the iveco - never a car in front but alwyas seems to be alot of traffic behind me -- sorry !
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Beauty of B Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beauty of B Roads   Beauty of B Roads EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 9:54 am

Yes after years of driving HGV's around Europe on autobahns/motorways, never enjoyed it, so as Tom knows, much pefer A and B roads.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Sponsored content

Beauty of B Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beauty of B Roads   Beauty of B Roads Empty

Back to top Go down

Beauty of B Roads
Page 1 of 1