4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool

Go down 
+3
bensonsnuts
Tom Mc
4x4overlander
7 posters
AuthorMessage
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool Empty
PostSubject: Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool   Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 6:08 am

The shovel is one of the most underrated and overlooked recovery tool

Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool IMG_8914

The one on the right is NOT a recovery tool despite what some people might say. Great for wandering off to do a dump, but digging out a vehicle? Laughing

One on the left is a proper recovery spade! Can be used as a standard length spade or extra reach which is great for getting sand etc away from diff or chassis.

HTH

Brendan
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4overlander.com
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool   Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 6:35 am

Best recovery device in my opinion is what they call ... a woman. Although, if you have two on board then so much the better! Twisted Evil

Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool Hummer10
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool   Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 7:02 am

Nah, at the risk of having my nuts on a skewer when I meet up with 'the ladies' at the next show, I'd better change that opinion.

The best all-around recovery tool I have ever come across is the chunkel - a fairly long pole (3ft - 4ft) with a steel head shaped into a scoop-shape, the leading edge bevelled enabling it to dig into the earth. Tried to find a photo of one but failed miserably! I'll keep looking.

Used throughout Asia, it's so much better than spades or shovels as it scoops mud and soil away, and even works in sand or snow. Reason is there is only one action - scooping - whereas with a shovel you first have to dig and then haul the stuff out from under or away from tyres.
Back to top Go down
bensonsnuts
Rookie
Rookie
bensonsnuts

PostSubject: Re: Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool   Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 7:46 am

nuts on a skewer

Sounds like some sort of unsavoury item off a survivalists menu Twisted Evil

Seriously though ...never heard of a chunkel ...got a few hits on google about it's use in Asia and on the River Kwai etc. but no pictures ?
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool   Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 1:11 pm

My favourite recovery tool is one i made myself, it is a shovel, scraper, grab, and has a stainless telescopic handle and all the ends simply snap on and off, it combines many years of off road experience and utilises everything i wished i had got when stuck.
Back to top Go down
sgt_raffie
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool   Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 3:20 am

Assassin wrote:
My favourite recovery tool is one i made myself, it is a shovel, scraper, grab, and has a stainless telescopic handle and all the ends simply snap on and off, it combines many years of off road experience and utilises everything i wished i had got when stuck.

Photos?
Just so we could get an idea and / or copy Very Happy

Raf
Back to top Go down
freespirit4x4
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
freespirit4x4

PostSubject: Re: Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool   Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 2:45 am

with the choice of shovel i have to both agree and disagree,
in sand, fresh soil and fresh snow any shovel will do

but in clay, mud and ice big shovel or pick axes seem to be the only way Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.freespirit4x4.co.uk
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool   Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 3:09 am

freespirit4x4 wrote:
with the choice of shovel i have to both agree and disagree,
in sand, fresh soil and fresh snow any shovel will do

but in clay, mud and ice big shovel or pick axes seem to be the only way Laughing
That's precisely why the chunkel is the best 'all-rounder'.

On the Rainforest Challenge of Malaysia the British teams turned up with their ex-army foldaway shovels, fair enough 'cause they hadn't experienced the jungle, but quickly learnt that the chunkel is far better for the soil - a heavy clay.

Swinging the chunkel and pulling it back after it's dug in is a far easier action than ramming in a spade/shovel, pushing down with the foot, pushing & pulling it back and forth to loosen the earth, then lifting, then throwing the spoil to one side is KNACKERING in the hot 'n' humid conditions!

Has anyone got a photo?

Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool   Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 9:09 pm

nearest i could fined well they must have a use some where

Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool Images%20chuckle%20brothers
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool   Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool EmptyMon May 21, 2012 5:32 am

laughing pound Made me titter did that ... only 1 1/2 years late with my reply!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool   Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool Empty

Back to top Go down

Underrated, often overlooked recovery tool
Page 1 of 1