4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Real 4X4's

Go down 
+2
roamingman
Assassin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Real 4X4's Empty
PostSubject: Real 4X4's   Real 4X4's EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 12:17 pm

With many true off road vehicles disappearing such as the LR Defender, Daihatsu Fourtrak, and many more workhorses classed as true rugged off roaders, which of the remaining off roaders do people class as true off roaders.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Real 4X4's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real 4X4's   Real 4X4's EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 11:21 pm

Well my D3 can not be classed as a true offroader, but it can go any where a Defender can go.

Is the unimog classed as a true offroader?

Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Real 4X4's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real 4X4's   Real 4X4's EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 6:25 am

Now theres a question, you can get various specs including agricultural so I suppose it could be called part true off roader and part tractor.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

Real 4X4's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real 4X4's   Real 4X4's EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 11:22 am

Shogun Commercial, Land Cruiser, Patrol, Jeep Wrangler. All IMO better than the Green oval stuff, past to present. Yet all mentioned are true off roaders.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Real 4X4's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real 4X4's   Real 4X4's EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 5:43 pm

Since we are in the Japanese section, my only experience would be with Toyotas. My first 4x4 was an old FJ40 and loved it. 3 speed gear box and a top speed of 45mph but tough beyond measure. For work in Africa I driven a long list of Troop carriers, 60/70 series and hilux's. I took out a cow in Zimbawe with the 60 series...and later a mazda pickup in a front end collision...that truck was also really tough. The hilux's were great but just a bit too lightly built for daily use on African roads. Tended to rattle apart if used on corrugated roads regularly.

The only reason I avoid Toyota's now is the rather annoying philosophy they have had for the past 20 years of subtely changing components every model year. Where I can fit a water pump on any model of Land rover from the early 80's to mid 1990's, Toyota changes everything slightly for each model year. Having run fleets of Toyotas with the rugged 1HZ engine, I can tell you this is extremely annoying that components for a 1995 often wont fit on a 1996. Makes finding parts in the bush alot more challenging as well. I could rant on about Toyota as a company but I think this will do...
Back to top Go down
Traveller
Rookie
Rookie

Real 4X4's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real 4X4's   Real 4X4's EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 11:50 pm

Tembo wrote:

The only reason I avoid Toyota's now is the rather annoying philosophy they have had for the past 20 years of subtely changing components every model year.
It's called 'progress' alledgedly'   - Very Happy   same reason GPS development keeps changing roughly every 2 years
I remember the old 500K memory bars.... now we're talking 64GB  micro chips
It's all about consumer-ism and I am very weary of those 'ism's ' as they always seem to cost me more money!

P.S Should have imported a Hilux from South Africa where my baby was born cheers 
Properly built although I can't say I like those plastic fenders much:roll:
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Real 4X4's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real 4X4's   Real 4X4's EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 4:07 am

Very true, its all about getting you into a dealer to diagnose a problem.

With modern vehicles its more about getting a vehicle with solid electronics, the mechanical elements can be worked on, hence my choice of the Shogun as they don't subtly change components every year.
Back to top Go down
Gold Rig
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Gold Rig

Real 4X4's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real 4X4's   Real 4X4's EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Nissan Patrol. They go anywhere, are tough as nails and have real comfort as well. The best LSD in the business and a totally bulletproof driveline.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Real 4X4's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real 4X4's   Real 4X4's Empty

Back to top Go down

Real 4X4's
Page 1 of 1