HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   Fri May 10, 2013 5:29 am

My thoughts exactly, I was as surprised as you. Not my place to say anything as it's not my event, but there's nothing stopping you contacting them to ask if they could do something for you personally, as time-wise it's impossible for you to spare any more than a day. Just a thought, completely up to you.

Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   Tue May 21, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi Tom just checking all things ok for the event I am back in the UK on the 27/28th so can be at the shoew on the thursday morning off 4x4ing on the Akamas peninsula for the next few days so contact not that easy but if there's any change in plan either PM me or text you've got my mobile no

Rgds Gary

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   Wed May 29, 2013 6:31 am

So, 90% certain myself and Gary (wideformat4x4) will be at Donington tomorrow evening. Anyone want to join us for a tipple, you know where we are. thumbsup

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   Wed May 29, 2013 9:11 pm

Opps! Should have know the remaining 10% would have a say - now Gary & I won't be on site until roughly 10am Thursday morning.

Apparently the forecast for Castle Donington is:-

Today - cloud/rain 17°
Thurs - cloud/rain 16°
Fri - sun 21°
Sat - cloud/sun 15°
Sun - cloud/sun 18°

Then again the same forecast said about last weekend that it would be sun on Sat, and rain on Sun and Mon. WRONG!!! Rain didn't arrive until Tues, so who knows?

Anyone that's going - we'll be in the "Adventure Zone". Appropriate really, it's already becoming an adventure getting there!!! Rolling Eyes

Articulating
Articulating

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:53 pm

Well, back from four days manning the stand at HUBB UK. Had a great time and definitely a new appreciation for the HUBB format...less about trade stands (although there were some of those) and more about getting together, sharing experiences, videos of trips, lectures and of course the real ale bar. This was the first time the bike-centric HUBB group invited the 4x4 community and I think it was a good start.

Pretty impressed by the story and videos from the young guy who drove to Nordkapp in February on a Honda C90 with a tesco basket strapped to his bike to carry his gear. Lots of other excellent presentations as well.

Was good to meet up with the guys doing the N.E. Morocco trip for some planning and a big welcome to John and Yoda+D who will be joining the crew heading out in October.

I think if we do it again we need to rethink our stand format however. Mainly we were talking about the Adventure Overland show in Sept and handing out flyers. But given that HUBB is a pretty much 'closed' event where people attend for the full four days and there are no day visitors, we didn't have much to do after the first day. By then most of the attendees had either been smoozed by Tom the first night or we saw them the first day and handed out our stuff. The other three days it was mostly just friends wandering by for a chat.

What was successful was having our vehicles there. Lots of interest in Yoda's dakar-rally support vehicle/110 camper and in Tembo. I think the selling point is to get the bikers to see how much more comfortable 4x4 overlanding can be without giving up the 'adventure' and try to lure them off their 2-wheel rides...and hence to our show in Sept to find out more. So, if we did it again, I would suggest a display that shows those two points

Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:57 pm

I couldn't agree more James, although the event was mainly subscribed too by hardy young biker types there were also a lot of shall we say slightly older couples (me trying to be tactful lol) and the amount who mentioned that their knees, ankles, hips etc were suffering from wear and tear and didn't know for how much longer they could continue lugging and heaving a large 200 kilo plus bike around said there were looking at the 4x4 route.

It was nice to see the forum guys at the show and put some faces to names of the overland travel gurus.
Saturdays meeting of the Morocco 2013 conviened with a couple of pints and a little map gazing, the Moroccan lectures given at the show we're bike orientated and now a great deal of help to us but hopefully some info will be retained.
Also we had a chance to welcome into the fold 3 new converts to the trip.

I think we may have missed a trick by not promotion this forum a lot more, at the end of the day the shows create a lot of interest but the on going blogs on the site will keep that interest alive throughout the year.

I'm not trying to do Toms job for him (he has enough on his plate just putting the show together) but I think a couple of well meaning volunteer's from the site collating pictures and stories from other members with the aim of maybe promoting the 4x4Overland travel..com site at the shows may help Tom's cause.

As always money is the overriding factor in putting something like this together and the budget has to be put towards items of a more constructive nature.

Although I have now retired from the 9 to 5 world of work I am still a (albeit sleeping) company director of a Wideformat printing company and I'm sure I can talk the other director's into donating some posters or banners to the cause.

So onwards and upwards.

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:00 pm

wideformat4x4 wrote:
I couldn't agree more James, although the event was mainly subscribed too by hardy young biker types there were also a lot of shall we say slightly older couples (me trying to be tactful lol) and the amount who mentioned that their knees, ankles, hips etc were suffering from wear and tear and didn't know for how much longer they could continue lugging and heaving a large 200 kilo plus bike around said there were looking at the 4x4 route.

It was nice to see the forum guys at the show and put some faces to names of the overland travel gurus.
Saturdays meeting of the Morocco 2013 conviened with a couple of pints and a little map gazing, the Moroccan lectures given at the show we're bike orientated and now a great deal of help to us but hopefully some info will be retained.
Also we had a chance to welcome into the fold 3 new converts to the trip.

I think we may have missed a trick by not promotion this forum a lot more, at the end of the day the shows create a lot of interest but the on going blogs on the site will keep that interest alive throughout the year.

I'm not trying to do Toms job for him (he has enough on his plate just putting the show together) but I think a couple of well meaning volunteer's from the site collating pictures and stories from other members with the aim of maybe promoting the 4x4Overland travel..com site at the shows may help Tom's cause.

As always money is the overriding factor in putting something like this together and the budget has to be put towards items of a more constructive nature.

Although I have now retired from the 9 to 5 world of work I am still a (albeit sleeping) company director of a Wideformat printing company and I'm sure I can talk the other director's into donating some posters or banners to the cause.

So onwards and upwards.

excellent idea sir....... thumbsup

you can find me in the hammock or spannering on the 101 and if im not there then i dont know where i am...................

http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4

Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:22 am

Well tembo and wideformat4x4 said it all really, the HUBB was a great show, and given us some ideas for our show, don't forget to put the date in your dairy and come along for a great weekend or even one day. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:29 am

Well I'm back. The show in Germany was great with some interesting traders already planning ADVENTURE OVERLAND.

Getting back however was a catalogue of disasters - missed planes, missed trains, lost bags, but made it back eventually so all was well in the end. Yoda, Dilys have been staying at my place, so we spent the afternoon on site at Stratford Racecourse. Won't say anything here and now, I'll let Yoda give you his thoughts when he gets a chance to go online.

A massive thanks you to everyone who helped out on the stand at HUBB UK - you know who you are! Now we've seen it for ourselves, I agree there needs to changes for 2014, and yes your ideas/constructive criticism are welcomed. Marquee back under lock & key BTW safe 'n' sound.

Signing off now as falling asleep at keyboard, plus must eat!!!

THANKS AGAIN CHAPS/CHAPESSES!

Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:21 am

Hi well as Tom said we had a look at the site, well it is great site lots of room for traders and camping, plenty of space for car parking. Nice bar area, going to be some good food areas Tom will be letting everyone know what will be happening.

So if you have not booked yet their is still time, so hope to see you all their. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Don't know about a "nice bar area" Yoda. It's a decent size alright, but boring compared to HUBB's fantastic bar and adjoining rooms. Full of rustic character, now they really are nice. Still, to be warm and dry will make a change, as it seems to be very rare these days to get a balmy evening, even in the height of summer.

Yep, HUBB found a good venue there, fair play to 'em.

Articulating
Articulating

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:32 am

Actually, a scenic as the bar and adjoining rooms were at Donnington, it was the barn-style real ale bar that was my evening highlight!

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:07 am

Surprised you remember it ... hic! drunken

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:36 am

Just to let you know, within an email Iain Harper sent me t'other day he started off by saying ...

"Glad you and your chaps enjoyed the HUBB UK event last week - thanks again for all your support"

Hear that Dilys, you're one of the lads now! cheers

Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:44 am

i do believe you can book for the next one now 2014 with a good discount Cool 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013   

Back to top Go down

HUBB UK - Donington Park - 30th May to 2nd June 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2