4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Carnet - the vehicle's "passport"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

Carnet - the vehicle's "passport" Empty
PostSubject: Carnet - the vehicle's "passport"   Carnet - the vehicle's "passport" EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi all

Just got off the phone with Jessica at RAC. Super helpful lady, and graciously relieved my poor cringing credit card of funds for the carnet. Thankfully some of it is refundable.

Just a small request (Jessica was sounding slighly frazzled) - remember to apply for your carnet in plenty of time!! If you're way too organised - 6-8 weeks. If you're less so, a month. (They request a month on their website).

It seems there is a bit of a process on their side, including legal looking it over, so turning it around in - say - a week is ... well ...

Just a little reminder!

kind regards
African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
http://www.kapp2cape.net
peterbst1
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Carnet - the vehicle's "passport"   Carnet - the vehicle's "passport" EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 5:31 am

Hi, we are also in the proces of getting a Carnet for our trip, with the AA. Our Land Rover is old but still worth in excess of the £5000 book price, which puts the depsoit at £15,000. We have been told that the RAC will only take a maximum of £10,000 for the depsoit, which isn't that much when you have to depsoit 300% of the vehicles value. The bank want silly money to do a guarantee, how are you getting on with this aspect?
Good travels

Pete
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Re: Carnet - the vehicle's "passport"   Carnet - the vehicle's "passport" EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 5:58 am

Pete,

I didn't know that AA did carnets. I thought it was only RAC in the UK?

Anyway, IMHO, the calculations don't sounds quite right.

This is how we did it:
Value of vehicle = £5k
We need to apply a security rate of 150% (travelling west coast of Africa. Where are you off to?)
So, we need to place a security of £5k x 150% = £7,500

3 options:
(i) bank guarantee - arranged through your bank
(ii) insurance indemnity
(iii) refundable cash deposit

We have opted for taking out an insurance indemnity. The insurance premium is 10% x £7,500 = £750 (+ insurance premium tax) , and 50% is refundable on discharge of the carnet (+insurance premium tax) so we'll get £375 back.

This seems to be the most frequently used process of applying for a carnet, and my experience so far, it has been pretty smooth.

What did the bank want to charge you for arranging a bank guarentee? scratching chin

We should receive our carnet in 2 weeks - which should make it 4 weeks end to end. clapping

Hope that helps! Fire any more questions you have!

kind regards
African GirlChild

Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Carnet - the vehicle's "passport"   Carnet - the vehicle's "passport" EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:27 am

I agree with Girlchild that only the RAC issue carnet. If the AA are going to do it then they no doubt go through the RAC and charge you for the experience.

We always went with the bank guaruntee and last time (2010 - 2011) they charged us £75 to process everything. This was the only charge other than the actual carnet cost. I think this is the easiest and cheapest way of doing things. Our 110 is valued at £2000 and that was totally acceptable. In fact the RAC ( Paul Gowan) told us to use bottom book price as vehicle contents are not included.

You will also need an International Driving Licence if like me your UK licence does not contain a photo.

Margaret
Back to top Go down
peterbst1
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Carnet - the vehicle's "passport"   Carnet - the vehicle's "passport" EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:41 am

Thanks All, of course when I typed AA, I really meant RAC, sorry about that! We are going to South America where the deposit is 300%. Many say its not needed but we felt better safe than sorry. The banks wanted £85 a quarter, just can't quite understand why the RAC won't take more than 10K.

Sorry again for the confusion, Pete
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Re: Carnet - the vehicle's "passport"   Carnet - the vehicle's "passport" EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:18 am

gemini wrote:

We always went with the bank guaruntee and last time (2010 - 2011) they charged us £75 to process everything. This was the only charge other than the actual carnet cost.
Margaret

Thanks for the tip Margaret - I'll look into bank guarentee for the next adventure Wink

Paul also suggested that our vehicle will have depreciated by the time we reach SA (in the event we need to renew it!)

rgds
African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Re: Carnet - the vehicle's "passport"   Carnet - the vehicle's "passport" EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 7:17 pm

Hooray! cheers

Vehicle carnet arrived yesterday. I think that makes is about 4 weeks start to finish.

(Just need to check all the details are correct ...)

Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Carnet - the vehicle's "passport"   Carnet - the vehicle's "passport" EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 12:14 am

Getting the bits of paper certainly make the adventure more real.

Margaret
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Re: Carnet - the vehicle's "passport"   Carnet - the vehicle's "passport" EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 6:42 am

gemini wrote:
Getting the bits of paper certainly make the adventure more real.

Margaret

It does! Emptying our house does too!! :shock:
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Carnet - the vehicle's "passport"   Carnet - the vehicle's "passport" EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 5:24 am

[ just can't quite understand why the RAC won't take more than 10K.

Sorry again for the confusion, Pete[/quote]

Sorry to come back Pete but what do you mean when you say the RAC won't take more than £10K?

What model/year is your Land rover?

Margaret
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's
iveco4x4

PostSubject: Re: Carnet - the vehicle's "passport"   Carnet - the vehicle's "passport" EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 8:55 am

peterbst1 wrote:
Thanks All, of course when I typed AA, I really meant RAC, sorry about that! We are going to South America where the deposit is 300%. Many say its not needed but we felt better safe than sorry. The banks wanted £85 a quarter, just can't quite understand why the RAC won't take more than 10K.

Sorry again for the confusion, P
ete

Carnets arn't needed for south america - so why go to the expense and trouble ?
Got friends who are out there at present - no carnet for their Iveco

http://www.philflanagan.com/

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carnet - the vehicle's "passport"   Carnet - the vehicle's "passport" Empty

Back to top Go down

Carnet - the vehicle's "passport"
Page 1 of 1